Tuesday, August 30, 2011

City Tour: Saturday, August 27th

Yes, it is cheesy and super touristy to go on a city tour, especially when it is a city you have visited four times. However, it was a great way to spend a Saturday morning: taking photos, telling stories, enjoying the beautiful city I call home. (We also thought we’d get a little sun sitting on the top of a double-decker bus, but alas, you’ll see the sky in the pictures.) Welcome to Cuenca! 

Below are pictures of the new cathedral in the center of the city. The old cathedral is on the opposite side of the square. (Please take the terms new and old lightly. They are both “old” buildings.) Apparently, the intention was to paint the entire cathedral the color of the domes, (white and blue), but during the waiting time of construction and development, the citizens decided they liked it better this way, so it stuck. See; I learned something new!



The picture below is of the oldest high school in Cuenca. Unfortunately, this incredibly beautiful building has a sad story: what was once the highest respected school in the city is no longer an institute of prestige. It broke my heart to hear that it is now the least respected school in the city. (No, I do not plan on living in Cuenca for the rest of my life in order to restore this school and building. Yes, the thought immediately crossed my mind.) 


The next few pictures aren’t necessarily of any real significance or importance according to the tour guide, but I think they are beautiful. 





Below is a picture of the end of our tour! The three of us are at Turi, the lookout of the city. I have been here before, but it takes my breath away every time. Have I mentioned that I love this city?


No comments:

Post a Comment