Thursday, September 8, 2011

Weekends and Wonderfulness


Sorry for being MIA! The internet is not always easy to come by in Ecuador, and when it is, I’m usually sending emails or skyping with loved ones. I will try to be more on top of things! Anyway this last weekend was full of great things, HOWEVER, I forgot my camera for almost ALL of them! L I hope you still keep reading anyway!

On Saturday morning, I went to Paulina’s panadería to learn how to make canchos, (they are like croissants)! It was an incredibly fun morning. I definitely got laughed at a lot for how slow I was at the folding process, but they all kept telling me that I just need more practice! They sounded like my mom when we’re making Christmas cookies. I don’t know if I will ever roll out dough as well as that lady! Back to the panadería: I want to tell you everything we did, but I plan on going again soon, so next time I WILL bring my camera, and then I will be able to have pictures to go along with the adventure, so stay tuned! J

It has been QUITE chilly here the last week and a half. And no, just because I am on the equator does not mean that it is hot all the time. (At this point I wish it did! ha.) Cuenca is located in the Andes Mountains, so cold, rainy weather is common during this time of the year. It actually hailed on my way to the center today! Yikes! My friend Christian and I decided that it is “Midwest November” weather right now. The only difference is, I didn’t bring my Midwest November clothing with me! So, on Saturday afternoon, instead of going out and exploring, I cuddled in with sweatpants, wool socks, (thank God I brought those!), my favorite sweatshirt, (with the hood UP), three blankets, and watched movies ALL AFTERNOON. It was delightful. Can anyone guess which movies I watched?!?!




If you guessed While You Were Sleeping and The Family Stone, you would be correct! Of course these two movies made me feel like I was back in Decorah, snuggled on my unbelievably comfortable couch, with apples and spices cooking on the stove, just looking forward to the most wonderful time of the year: CHRISTMAS! I promise that I will not go on a Christmas rant. I will do my best to wait until December to do that. (It IS however only 108 days away in case you were wondering.) So yes, that was my Saturday, and I enjoyed every second of it.

On Sunday, I was taken ALL over our region of Ecuador with my family. Again, NO camera! L (They told me that we were going for a “spin.” I didn’t realize that meant five hours of sightseeing!) There were so many things I wanted to share. We went to an absolutely gorgeous church on top of a mountain. It was breathtaking- the view inside and out. Then, of course, there are just things I want to take pictures of like guinea pigs, chickens, and pigs on spicks EVERYWHERE, or the beautiful landscape that is the mountains and colorful homes, or our lunch: half a chicken, tortillas, potatoes, bread, and pop, WITH leftovers, costing $9.00. It floors me every time. When we got back to Cuenca, my coworkers called me for another adventure. This time, I DID have my camera!

Lauren, (one of the science teachers), bought a slack line and has been using it often. We went to a park near my house, set it up, and did our best not to fall! (It’s SO tricky!) Here are a few pictures of our slack line adventure near the Tomebamba River:




Lauren also takes “Tela” classes. Here is a picture of her, high up in the tree. She’s such an acrobat!
All in all, it was a wonderful weekend. J


A side note: I am SO excited for classes to start! Our first day with kiddos got pushed back to the 12th due to construction at school. I am beyond ready to be teaching! I miss it more than I can even express. This week we’ve been working hard getting our teacher room ready at school. (I do not have my own classroom as I will be teaching English and reading, therefore we have a teacher workroom to share.) I so wish that I would have taken a “before” picture of this place. It was horrifyingly disorganized. Let’s just say that this room became my project, (aka I was dying to put my organizational skills to use!). Everything now has a space and a CUTE label to go with it! (To all my Postville coworkers: those fonts are still coming in handy! Ha!) Now let’s just hope it stays this way. Pictures of the school will be coming soon. I want to wait until we are done with all the painting and construction, so again, stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment